Friday, December 31, 2010

2010...I bid you farewell!

It's the last day of year 2010 and here I am, inking my last post of the year. It was just a blink of an eye that now we are at the end of another year. It was just yesterday that I was in Melaka celebrating the new year at Geographers. There will be parties, drinks and fireworks to mark another new year.


A flashback of my year...
I drafted a list of new year resolutions for this year and off to hard work and perseverance to make the resolution a success.

January,
I was still on my unofficial holiday, spending days sending resumes, waiting for phone calls and preparing for interviews and I was giving up hope in getting any jobs. It was a long wait, day in and day out. Little did I know the feeling of anxiety in waiting for a proper job to come. During these times of restless waits, I was able to have some fun - Melaka for New Year party, Pulau Payar for dives, Seremban for a meetup and Pulau Ketam for a night.


February,
I moved to Mont Kiara with a friend. I successfully accepted a 3 months internship with a research company in the Aerospace & Defense department. It was a 9am-6pm office job. I wasn't used to the repetitive routine but it was a good start. I learnt a bunch though I was there for only a week. I resigned. I moved out. I gained many friends. I lost a great friend. It was a heartbreak. I left to an island for interview that weekend and spent my Chinese New Year eve on the bus, missed my reunion dinner with family in Melaka but I thanked my family and friends for giving their support through this rough time.


March,
I left the big city with a heavy heart to an island called Redang. Many asked why the sudden change? I took the leap in the hope of leaving the heartache behind. I care not the low pay, the culture differences. It took me a while to get used to the new life I had on the island, but as time passed, I was glad I choose the path I was in - the sun, the sea and the sand.


April,
I was given the opportunity to explore more into scuba diving. I had a great time making my guests happy during their stay on the island. I was then given a chance to make a video underwater. I worked almost 2 shifts; diving and making sales everyday. I came up with the video and we started selling to our hotel guests. I decided to pursue my diving license and after 5 dives, I gained my PADI Advance Open Water Diver license. Though there were no stress and worries through the 2 months, things started to change. It was great news, at first, that I was promoted but after declining the promotion, I was in a difficult position that forced me to resign. So I did. I resigned. Before I left the island, I gained my PADI Digital Underwater Photographer license. It was my graduation ceremony in Miri. I took a 5-day break in Miri; spent my time diving in the Miri waters, dinner with the JCLAs, and most importantly, I made my parents proud!


May,
I came back to the big city again; no more sun, sea and sand. I was back to reality. I signed a 3 months contract with a production company as a Production Manager. I was given 2 jobs; a commercial and a science program called 'Clever! Edisi Malaysia'. I traveled from Cheras to Kelana Jaya by train everyday - tiring but that's life in the city. I signed up for gym with Celebrity Fitness and went for yoga, body combat and dance classes.


June,
It was a hectic month preparing for the science program; calling schools, casting kids and adults alike, getting permissions and sponsorships. There were ups and downs but I learnt so much when working in this project. I played with science, experiments and even appeared on the show! It was a long week of shoot and late nights but all went superbly well.


July,
My last month of contract. I had a haircut and it was a very short cut...but I love it! I took 2 days leave through the weekend for a trip to Perhentian Island for dives with my fellow colleagues. Though I only had 4 dives but it was worth every cent I spent. Things were getting better; career and personal.


August,
I renewed my contract for another 4 months, this time to work on a feature film! My first feature film project! Mum and Dad came for a visit. I had my kueh chap and kolo mee from Kuching and we spent time in Ipoh and Penang during the weekend. It was an impromptu decision to spend the weekend in Pangkor Island - no dives for me but a relaxing holiday it was!


September,
It was quite a boring month as it was just pre-production of the feature film with many versions of scripts, breakdowns and lots of location scouting. I love recce'ing. I explore many places and come across many interesting locations and meeting people. I participated in the International Cleanup Day in Pulau Payar. It was a great time cleaning the sea and yes, there were so much so clean.


October,
Things started to get more and more intense as shoot was in a month time. I started to see changes in the people around me. There were arguments, disagreements but that happens. I started seeing myself being taken advantage of and I decided to stand up for myself and defended my thoughts. As time passes, things started to get ugly. The month ended with a huge argument in the office and a bad start on the shoot. I had a breakdown on the last day of October and it was something that I do not wish to happen again.


November,
A long month of shoot. So much stress, so much problems, so much lies, so much! People just can't work professionally. It was rain and shine. It was sweats and swears. Everyone put in efforts and pulled through the long month. I gained friends but I lost trusts.


December,
The last 2 days of shoot was hell. We were cursed at, showed middle-finger at, mocked at, ran over at. It was an eye opener to see 'Malaysia Truly Asia'. But, all the hard work paid off and the crash happened and it was a wrap. The shoot ended. My contract ended. Though I had one hell of a time working on this feature film, I took it as a lesson well learnt and it made my portfolio a better one. I was officially unemployed again. I spent my first week of unemployment in bed with fever, cough and flu. It was later that I volunteered to edit an event video for an NGO. I went back to church. I spent my birthday in Sunway Lagoon with my brother Alex and sister-in-law Choulyee and did another leap - Bungee Jump! Christmas was here in KL. New Year too.


2010. So much has happened - job hopping, making new friends, loosing old friends, accomplished more dives, worked in different genre of projects, missing home, obtained insanity. So much gained through the years; good and bad alike.

It was not exactly a great year to remember. Forgive and forget. 2010...I bid you farewell.

Lastly, I thanked my family for understanding and supporting my many decisions throughout this year and for being there for me when I needed you the most. I thanked my friends; far and near for the shoulder to cry on, the ear to listen to, the smile to share the joy and happiness. I thanked the strangers I met along the way for being a help. I thanked those who had done me wrong for teaching me lessons that I can only learn through meeting people like them. I thanked God for being there to guide me through times of greatness and troubles.

'Year's end is neither and end nor a beginning but an on going, with all the wisdom and experience can instill in us'
-Hal Borland-

Goodbye 2010...Hello 2011

No comments: