Monday, December 13, 2010

The Island Explorations

Year 2009, I challenged myself; my fear of water. With financial support from my dear mother and moral supports from my dear friends, I signed up for PADI Open Water Diver course. I managed to persuade my long time friend, Wei Ling to take the course together with another 2 ladies; Karen and Irene. It was a one week long period before we completed the whole course; 2 sessions in class, 1 session in the pool, 2 sessions in the sea and final exams. After the water drinking scene in the pool, coral scratches in the sea...I became a diver!

Never I realized the beauty of the underwater world until...

...the turtle sanctuary...

Island Exploration No.1 : Satang Besar Island, Kuching
I called it the 'Whale Island' because the shape of the island looks like a whale from the shore. We parked our cars at Santubong Boat Club and took a boat out to the sea. I spent 2 days with 4 dives here, finishing up the open water section of the course. The first thing that came to my mind when I first jumped into the sea was...damn! I can't see a thing! Yes, visibility was real bad, but heck, it was a good way of learning. Here, we four girls explored quite an area and saw lots of sea urchins, lobsters, fishes which we know not of the names, corals that gave us scratches on our legs and turtle!

I will definitely plan for more dives in Kuching...especially the WWII wrecks!

...the underwater observatory deck...

Island Exploration No.2 : Payar Island, Langkawi
It was about 6 months later after my course that I planned for my dive. It was only a day trip to Langkawi Coral, Payar Island from Penang for 2 dives. A quote from the diver, 'You either float like a feather or sink like a stone!' Yes, I was that rusty! Ming Yi was my buddy and that was our first dive after our courses. Visibility was poor too and it was the first time I played with my underwater film camera...though...the photos turn out real bad *smiles*

I came back to this island again for 2010 International Cleanup Day just recently for another 2 dives, but this time, to be DBKL for a day; picking up rubbish from the sea. It was a great time with other experienced divers cleaning up the sea and hopefully it'll be an annual event in my calendar starting next year!

...the white sandy beaches...

Island Exploration No.3 : Redang Island, Terengganu
I lost counts on how many dives I did here in Redang. Didn't expect to get a job here on the island, but I did! I spent 2 months here, living in a beautiful island with no stress at work but just the sun, the sea and the sand around me. From Recreation Coordinator to Underwater Videographer...I spent most of my mornings in the sea; brushing up my diving skills, learning photography, explore the sites with the DMs and Instructors. I was even given the chance to dive alone at Bahagia Wreck *proud* It was paradise~

The one and only dive site that I will come back to this island to dive is Tanjong Tokong for it's cave diving! I managed to dive through 3 caves and there are lots more to explore!

...the windmill power station...

Island Exploration No.4 : Perhentian Island, Terengganu
The island with lots of wreck to dive...but, I did none! *sighs* I spent 3 days 2 nights here with my colleagues. I booked myself 4 dives and was hoping to do a dive at Sugar Wreck but too bad, I couldn't make it. A beautiful island with beautiful creatures. I think I had more fun snorkeling as I was swimming with turtles and sharks.

I will be back one day to dive the wrecks here!

More dives to come...
Can't wait for my Kota Kinabalu trip this January!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I still remember being scorch by the glaring sun & heavy sweating while waiting patiently for you during your swim practice in the swimming pool......

kaYren said...

muahahaha...yalo, somemore i go swimming at 3-4pm! mana tidak panas! haha...but that training sessions did me good! i passed my swim test! :)