Sunday, February 24, 2008

HLS at SMK Bakong

...a banner specially made for HLS...

HLS, Human Life Services of Miri organized a talk at SMK Bakong and I was volunteering in that program as a photographer. This was my first HLS program and I learned a lot through it. There were two speakers, Petrus and Ansovinus and three other volunteers, Angeline, Melvin and I together with Auntie Dorothy, our adviser. We had breakfast before departing to SMK Bakong which was about an hour drive from Miri.

...the speakers...

We were in a van, driving through roads where you can see 'dinosaur's footprints' and it was a bumpy ride. Reaching SMK Bakong was a big relieve because we were afraid that we might get lost. Met with Cikgu Evelyn and she showed us the place and we started setting up the exhibits and the computers.


...preparations before the talk...

It was amazingly full where 600 students came for the talk. The talk started about 2.20pm with Ansovinus's topic. I took a whole lot of pictures, 340 pictures in total. Petrus spoke of topic 2 and 3 and the students were participating well.

...the view of the hall with 600 students...





The talk ended right on the dot at 5pm and Cikgu Evelyn had prepared food for us. We had our late lunch/early dinner and made our move at 6pm. The main concern was not of getting lost, but to reach home safely as it was getting dark and the roads are not of good condition.Praise to God...We reached St. Joseph's Church at about 7.30pm and I was home at 8pm, all exhausted...

It was a great experience and I'm hoping to volunteer in the next program...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen!

I too had a great time at during the whole trip and the time we all spent together. memorable one. had alot of fun with you all. memang tak rugi i call you to join us. it's great that was a fun and great experience for you as it has been one for me.

i can't wait for the next one.! ;)

Angelique d'Angoulême said...

Hi Kay....
Hmm.. Kind of new experience for me...
At least I got my heart started to pump furiously .. haha..
Have a fun time with everyone dear.. It's good to explore outside of my world..
Can't wait for the second time again =)