Monday, June 9, 2008

Down Memory Land; Semester 2 in Curtin

2nd semester in Curtin if over, which means, one more year and I'm done with my Degree. 

p/s: This post is going to be a very long post...

My 2nd semester started the day I arrived in Miri on the 19th February 2008 after a long 3 months holiday in Kuching. After rotting myself off, finally I get to work on things which were pending since forever *smile*. I was very looking forward to going back Miri because I moved! - from Lakeside Apartment to Lot 3946. It took me a whole afternoon to clean up my room and the house.

...my room before the clean up...


First activity I did was the Human Life Service talk at SMK Bakong along with Petrus, Ansovinus, Angeline and Melvin with Aunt Dorothy. I volunteered in the talk where we had to drive about an hour to the school and met a lot of students. It was a great one, though~!

...the team for SMK Bakong...


The classes started on the 25th February 2008. I took four units this semester:
1. FTV 233 Advertising and Music Video
2. FTV 222 Documentary Workshop
3. MCI 101 Research and Research Presentation
4. Consumer Behavior 102
I was in classes with first year, second year and final year students. It was a very complicated situation where people often asked which year I was and I will answer... 'I'm not sure. Maybe first year, maybe second year, I have no idea.'


2nd week of study was quite a busy one for me. I helped out in the Foundation Orientation as a CV! for the whole week. First day was FORMAL! I soon became the photographer after I took lots of pictures on the first day. Anyhow, it was a great week; getting to knowmore people, working with SOARs, taking tons of photos... O-Nite was a BLAST! Love it to bits. Well, I didn't even go for my own O-Nite last semester. Was the official photographer for Student Council for O-Nite and guess what, I took like 600 photos just one night!

...the group of SOARs for Sem 1, 2008...

...SOARs and CV!s...


It was back to assignments, projects and of course, the weekly classes. Met a lot of people here and there. It was the moment where we all knew will happen. Presentation of our treatments for our production project and of course, to find your team members to work with! It was a hell of a moment to wait and see whose treatments are chosen for all four productions this semester.

To cut to the chase...


1st production (Sundrop Commercial)
Team members: Elizabeth Wee & Yapp Bit Ying
This production wasn't a tough one. It was only for a 30 seconds commercial. Further more, all we need are all the 7 products from Sundrop, a table and some props. But hell, this production wasn't a great one to work on.

...me and all the Sundrops...

2nd production (Sharp Shooter)
Team members: Jasmine Wong, Amy Chong & Stephanie Keh
The most relaxing but expensive production I ever worked in. For a 3 minutes documentary, we spent hundreds to get our subject back from Limbang. Shoots were done in two locations; the subject's house and the Archery Center in Bintang Plaza.

...the crews and Beatric...

3rd production (Old Newspaper)
Team members: Jasmine Wong, Amy Chong, Chai Ming Na & Khairul Anwar
A music video production approved by the recording company and we're doing it for Jason Lo! How cool is that! It was all about newspaper and my room was all covered up in newspaper! Rented and van for RM100 but later sold off our newspaper for RM75.

...in the newspaper'ed room...

4th production (Hezekiah's Rhythm)
Team members: Jasmine Wong, Amy Chong & Stephanie Keh
Another documentary in production. It was another great production to work on and to work with. Team members were great and we worked so good together; no arguments, no fights, no nothing~! It was such a musical production. Love it to bits and pieces.

...the crew and Hezekiah...


In between all the busyness, I made myself even more busy with other things. One of my personal project I worked on this semester was to be Student Council's official photographer/videographer for Curtin Sports Carnival 2008. Out of the four days event, I worked on the first and final days as two other photographers chipped in to help.

...my boss for SC photography...


I was also involved in the Foundation Graduation Ceremony on the 2nd May and the Degree Graduation Ceremony on the 9th May. Was involved with Juliana, Amy, Yuki, Adrienne and Elizabeth. It was great to see other people's graduation, at least I know how my graduation will be like in 2010 *smile*

...Elizabeth, Adrienne, Yuki, Karen, Amy...


Mum came to Miri for the holidays. Well, at least I get to have like 5 days away from everything, have mum cooked at home, bringing her around here and there and explore more places like Lambir and Bekenu!

...Cath, Karen, Mum at Bekenu Beach...


Well, bought myself a Sonic Gear speaker where I use to blast movies and music at home. Oh oh, and not forgetting, my most valuable item of the semester - my MACBOOKPRO!!! *woohoo!*

...my desk (MacBook Pro + Sonic Gear Speakers)...


List of Achievements this semester:
1. Photographer for Student Council
2. Director for 3 productions
3. Director of Photography for Major Production
4. Founded and President for AppleBox Pictures
5. Production Crew for 2 projects
6. Dean's List for MCI 112
7. 4 treatments accepted to be made into a film
8. Nominated for John Curtin Leadership Academy
9. Accepted for SOAR training
10. Graduated from Diploma
11. Interviewed by United Daily News

List of Failures this semester:
1. Muscle inflamation/Virus attack
2. Fever/Flu/Cough for a month
3. Taekwondo
4. Blood Donation


Well, in all the stresses and frustrations, at least I enjoyed this semester. 
Many ups and downs. Many anger and laugher.
It was all worth for the experience of a lifetime. 

...during Cath's birthday...

...CV! gathering...

...Lunch with Aunty Mary...

...workshop practice with Stephanie...

...my partner in crime, Jasmine for Proficiency Test...

...Amy, Stephanie, Jasmine, Karen...

...day out in Miri...

...Ladies' Nite at Balcony...

...Elizabeth and Karen on archery...

...the day I graduate from Diploma...

...the syok sendiri gang of Mass Comm...

...Jasmine, Stephanie, Karen...


ALL THE BEST TO US ALL FOR NEXT SEMESTER!

A MILLION THANKS TO ALL OF YOU, MY DEAR FRIENDS AT CURTIN FOR THE GREAT SEMESTER!

WILL SEE YOU ALL AGAIN SOON!

HAPPY HOLIDAY!

No comments: