Tuesday, December 2, 2008

My Semester 2, 2008

*this post maybe looooong*

Semester 2, 2008 marked my final year in Curtin University of Technology Sarawak Campus; which means 2 more stressful semester and I'm a degree graduate! Okay, let's not go too far... It was after a very enjoyable and fun holidays with my friends where I had to come back to reality - studies - so, I found myself back in Miri.


But, no doubt, this new semester was indeed a new adventure. First of all, it was John Curtin Leadership Academy (JCLA). I signed up for JCLA through the application forms from Mr. Sony who actually said, 'I kill you!' that time when I was still delaying on filling up the forms. Got a call during my holidays after the interview that I was accepted into the academy. The camp was held a week before the semester commenced. It was at Borneo Tropical Rainforest Resort for 4 days 3 nights - it was a BLAST!!! Having Jarrad and Linda from Perth to give us an idea of what JCLA is all about and of course Ian to advice us on things. And soon after the camp, our project started... JCLA Poster Presentation was on the 31st October where we were to do a poster of ourself and present them to the employer. It was a messy one but it all went well. And it was time to bid farewell to Samson and Suhas as they will be continuing their studies in Perth.

...too bad I didn't bring my camera - that's why no photos...

...my team with our bridge in Acid River...

...the crazy bunch during our tour...

...that's us in JCLA...

...during JCLA poster presentation...

...Samson and Suhas farewell dinner...

Project Care - this was the project eight of us; Karen, Catherine, Ming Yi, Gerain, Shahul, Suhas, Johan and Kairul worked on - a community service providing sustainable development to Long Makabar - a solar panel project for the Cultural Centre. It was a tough project to work on; fundraisings, looking for suppliers, advisors to our project, funds from sponsors... and we're glad that it all went well and up to date, we collected RM12,450 and installation of the project will be on 25th February. And, of course not forgetting our trip to LONG MAKABAR!!! ...and later with a newspaper article with my surname written in all the sentence. -.-"

...Project Care members, Councillor Simpson, Mr. Ben from MERCY and the tuai kampung...

...Catherine's favourite photo...

...the newspaper article from Borneo Post...

...fundraising at Bintang Plaza...

...fundraising at KRP...

Project Care changed a lot in me. I saw things beyond what I've seen. I met friends who later became a part of a family. I was able to commit into community service and work alongside with corporates. I do hope - I believe everyone in Project Care too - that we will be able to continue on Project Care in the future to come.

...pioneers of Project Care...

I got myself into quite a lot of activities outside class this semester. AppleBox Pictures - a club which functions as a media team to provide event journalism to Curtin related events. A semester ago, I gathered a group of Mass Communication students to help setup this club and to have it up and running this semester. It was a success to have covered all events organized by Student Council - O-Noon, International Night, Prom Nite and Curtin Carnival & Youth Day 2008. Hoping for a better semester next year!


Studies was a bit of an ups and downs as well. I was in a dilemma to choose to attend class or JCLA's workshop as I had problems with my lecturer. Luckily, all was arranged and I was able to attend classes and the workshops at the same time~! and...our documentary, Hezekiah's Rhythm was chosen to send for RTM's competition - Program Karyawan Muda.

...'Hezekiah's Rhythm' crews with our lecturer...

...'Asi' crews with the lecturer...

FTV 243 and FTV 334; pre-requisite units but I was able to take both these units together this semester which means, having two lectures on the same day (-.-") It was tough during the first few weeks to cope these units. I had to learn everything that I have learnt in college and had to brush up for both units and was ensured that my script will not be used to be made into our video project (got me quite down *sob*) Managed to pull these units through; completed a video for Miri City Medical Centre on Breast Cancer and wrote a corporate script for Marina Bay Seafood Restaurant. I WANT TO PASS THESE TWO UNITS!

Script of the semester:
MARINA BAY SEAFOOD RESTAURANT

Short film of the semester:
SWEET REVENGE

Corporate video of the semester:
MIRI CITY MEDICAL CENTRE; EARLY DETECTION OF BREAST CANCER, IT MAY SAVE YOUR LIFE!

...the cameraperson for 'Sweet Revenge'...

...Yuki, Amy and I during our corporate video shoot at MCMC...

MS 216 was a disaster. We had like countable - let say 3 out of 14 lectures and guess what, I had no idea what this whole unit is about! All I had to do to pass this unit is to deliver a presentation, write all my reading logs (whether or not I understand the readings and topics) and complete my final essay. Having two lecturers with different minds and thoughts teaching this unit is seriously a DISASTER!

Topic of the semester:
FRAMING OF RACIAL ISSUES AND LAW ENFORCEMENTS IN INDEPENDENT ONLINE NEWS SITE; MALAYSIA TODAY A CASE STUDY

Marketing Communication was another big deal~! The presentation was tough - thanks to Dr. Goi who basically threatens us every week that all of us fail in our presentation *sigh* Anyway, got through the presentations with Amy and Yuki and had to wait for 2 weeks to my one and only final exam...

Topic of the semester:
MARKET RESEARCH; MARINA BAY SEAFOOD RESTAURANT

All the JCLA activities, Project Care activities and studies really wears me out. I was so looking forward to have a day off to sleep for as long as I can. There was no time to stop and relax/chill at all. But, for what is worth, all these gave me a new experience - experience that I will never forget for a long time.

...CV! gatherine Sem 2, 2008...

...me and my housemate, Catherine...

...another drive at the beach...

...Prom Nite...

...Fortissimo's Inspire Me!...

...finally met Sharon after a very long time...

...Natasha's graduation in Curtin...

...GCC Volunteers...

It was a tough semester. Not forgetting all the pain some psychos put me through. Friends who knew me well will know how I feel and understand me. I can't believe that I have to deal with immature people who were cowardly hiding behind the bush (I knew who they are actually). But, what I have been through with them, taught me a great deal about friendship. 

Okay...let's forget all the unnecessary things and cut right back to my achievements of this semester: (not in sequence)
1. Inductee of JCLA
2. Project Manager of Project Care
3. Founder & President of AppleBox Pictures
4. *still* an unofficial photographer for CV!
5. Conquered Niah Cave
6. Completed all my FTV units
7. Completed my semester (of course!)
8. Did 3 cuts for Long Makabar's video & an interview video for JCLA
9. Completed my 1st poster for JCLA poster presentation
10. Learn a lot...especially about Engineering (Thanks, Cath!)
11. Get a hang of Photoshop
12. Went for Prom Nite~
13. Went to a really far far away village (8 hours timber road)
14. Volunteered in the SCCS Golden Child Camp
15. Explore and do as much adventurous activities as possible
16. Helped Fortissimo in Inspire Me!
17.
18.
19.
20.
..........can't remember lah~..........


A semester's gone by and I'm back at home for the 2 month holidays. 
Some left for Curtin Perth, some graduated. 
It'll be my turn to leave Curtin after next semester. 

There are lots more to write but I'll just have to put a stop to this post. 
*too looooong*

~GOD BLESS ALL MY FRIENDS WHO GAVE ME UNENDING SUPPORT THROUGH THIS SEMESTER~

No comments: