Saturday, July 19, 2008

Rainforest World Music Festival 2008

Finally~ I was at RWMF~ Why I say finally??? Because, I have been wanting to go since 2003 where Habana Sun Club came to my school to perform. Every year, I look forward to the event but it never 'jadi' coz I was in KL for my studies and during that time, I was usually having my exams. Sigh~ So, this year, I sent my volunteering application on the 2nd January and a month before the event, they gave me a call - I was accepted to be a volunteer~ - and few days later, we had our pre-appreciation dinner and a month later, it was the event.

I was given a room to stay along with three other volunteer at Santubong Resort for 4 nights, 3 days pass to the event and also some pocket money for our lunch and dinner. Breakfast and supper were both in the hotel. 

The night before the event, the Gate Control unit came for a short briefing where we were given 2 shirts each and our name tags which we use for free shuttles to the Cultural Village. My shifts were: 
Day 1: 4.00pm - 11.30pm
Day 2: 9.30am - 4.30pm
Day 3: 9.30am - 4.30pm

How wonderful~! I get to see the concert for Day 2 and Day 3!!! AMAZING~~~

There were not many photos taken throughout the event because my DSLR was at home, resting while I was carrying my mum's Nikon digital camera. Met some Curtin'ians there; Ian, Raymond, Augusting...they were working as Security.

Day 1 of my shift was tough. We were mostly new to the job. There were a few guys who had been working for 3 years but majority are new. It was hard also to tag the wrist band as we need to make sure that it is tight. Crowds came in non-stop during the night and further more, it was raining heavily. The Prime Minister and Chief Minister of Sarawak was there that night for the opening. And of course, by the end of the night, I was all wet and my flu got worse.

...a Gate Control, a Merchandiser, two Questionnaires...

...me doing my henna...
(it came off that night due to my skin peeling after sunburn)

...one of the workshops...
(at Rumah Iban)

...the Gate Control peps...

Day 2 was an easy going day. There were not many people in the morning, but as soon as I got back from lunch, people were queuing non-stop and I finished off 3 bags within less than an hour. Met Mike from PGMAJ after my shift and also coincidentally met Ms Loh and her boyfriend there. Got back to Santubong for a shower but then realize that I did not carry the room card along, so I had to wait out in front of my room for 15 minutes for the housekeeping to open the room for me. Thanks to my tag, I boarded the shuttle and off I go to Cultural Village again where Amanda; a volunteer as well, and I went for the concert.

...Ms Loh and I...

...Mike and his friend...

...workshop in the amphitheater...

...at the Questionnaire booth...

Day 3. I was looking forward to end my shift. Catherine and Hiew reached about 11am. It was a slow day for the Gate Controls. As our shift ended, we 'sempat' take photos and thanked our officers for having us throughout the three days. Met up with Catherine and Hiew and bumped into Valerian who joined us for the concert. Thanks to Motofuji Hiroshi, it rained heavily that night. As Hiew said, 'We got the whole package. Forest+Rain+Music = Rainforest World Music Festival'. Got back to the hotel and packed and checked out and sent my roommate, Joyce back home before ending up at McDonalds for supper.

...my working area...

...we got x, we got it all...

...Cath and Hiew working on their henna...

...makin lama makin I see him skinnier...

...me looking extremely weird with my bandana...



It was a great experience to volunteer for Rainforest World Music Festival 2008. I hope to volunteer again in the future~

No comments: