Friday, January 8, 2010

Celebrating the New Year in Melaka and Penang

It's crazy to actually travel from KL to Melaka for 3 days and then back to KL to head up to Penang for another 3 days. But yea~ that was what I did for the New Year.

It all started with a road trip down south to Melaka for the New Year's eve with Lynn. We drove down to Melaka on the 31st morning and checked into Voyage Guesthouse which is located just behind Jonker Street and just after leaving our bags in the hotel, we headed for a queue for Chicken Rice Ball for lunch.

Day 1 was all about walking around in the historical places you can find here in the heart of Melaka. The weather was really hot but manageable (I mean, after 2 months on shoot, this weather is nothing to us). The one creepy thing we went to was Tortura 2; an exhibition which turns the stomach around. But, the RM10 entrance fee was worth it! After the long walk the whole afternoon, we headed back to freshen up for the New Year's eve party which we had at Geographer. Although we spent the night playing 'pick-up-stick' while waiting for the countdown, it was indeed a time worth spending for the New Year.

...the infamous 'head-chopping-machine'...

...imagining myself standing here back during the days...

...taken with Lynn's sanitizer...

...the moment the clock strikes 12am...

Day 2 was more of a cultural experience as we took a ride down to Mini Malaysia and Mini ASEAN park for a walk. Between this park and Sarawak Cultural Village, I still vote for SCV! *smiles* After a morning of cultural walk and show, we went to Melaka Mall for Sherlock Holmes where apparently, Lynn had her good and comfortable sleep in the cinema *sweats*. Spent the night at Geographer again - live band was superb and the environment was just nice~

...taken in one of the houses in Mini Malaysia...

Day 3 morning, we had breakfast and then it was a drive back to KL where Lynn dropped me off at the train station to head down to Pudu. There, I met up with Hiew to get my underwater camera and with Ming Yi to take a bus ride to Penang.

...Penang...

We paid for a dive package with Ping Anchorage to Pulau Payar aboard the Langkawi Coral on the 3rd January. Early that morning, a van came to pick us up to Swettenham Pier where we took a 2 hours ferry ride to the island. We had a short round of snorkeling before the other divers from Langkawi joined us on the boat.

Technically, I failed miserably on my buoyancy during my first dive - either I do not sink or I sink like an anchor! But, after taking advices from 3 dive masters, I did very well on my second dive but too bad, we didn't know how to turn back the film in my camera so we didn't have photos taken on our 2nd dive. Though the visibility was about 3meter and the current was very strong, there were many colorful fishes underwater.

...a section of Pulau Payar...

...my diving gears...

...taken on our way back to Penang...

Ming Yi and I met up with Shahul the day we left for KL. He brought us touring around Georgetown, not to mention the very famous Penang Cendol and Pasembor. We lost track of time and only to realize that we were very late for our bus ride back to KL.

...taken with my handphone as the tripod...

The bus ride was horrible, terrible and vegetable (quote from 'I Not Stupid' the movie). We reached KL at 1.45am and took a cab back to my house only to realize that the lock had been changed and I wasn't being notified. Our handphones were dead and my BlackBerry had little left but thank God that we managed to make some calls and headed off to Ming Yi's aunt's place not far from my house.

Though it was tiring, but it was a great trip indeed!

Looking forward to more dives!

No comments: