Monday, January 24, 2011

My Solo Backpacking Trip...to Kota Kinabalu

Finally, the long awaited backpacking trip was here! I started planning of this trip 5 months ago and waited ages for it to come. The date 11th January 2011 came with a slight change of plans. Instead of flying to Kota Kinabalu from Kuala Lumpur, I flew from Kuching which was why I had a 40 hours delay of flights. Why? On the night of 10th January, an AirAsia plane skidded off the runway in Kuching International Airport that had all flights into Kuching cancelled. It was a bloody long wait, checking out for my flights 3 times in a day and only to find out that I can fly to KK on 12th January 2011 at 10.45pm.


Wasted 2 days in Kuching; had to cancel my job interview and 3 leisure dives but the adventure started that night itself. Boarded the 10.45pm flight and reached Kota Kinabalu at 12.30am and checked into Borneo Backpacker at 1.00am. The best sight of all was to see the cozy hotel I was staying and the comfortable bedroom I had for the next 7 nights!


My first day started with a slight headache (couldn't sleep that night). Had toast and a cup of Sabah Tea for breakfast before heading out into the sun, walking along the seaside, taking photographs and smell the fresh air. I headed straight to Diverse Borneo at 9.00am to meet with Mark Hedger to start my Emergency First Response class. It was an entire day in the office with readings, knowledge reviews, DVD and practical training. My day ended with Bak Kut Teh for dinner before heading back for Rescue Diver Chapter 1 readings.


Day 2 was a bit more exciting. Mark took me out for my first Rescue Diver training at Sapi Island that morning and we had a little bit of time to head out for a dive at the House Reef before heading back to mainland. After the short sun bathing moments in the island, I took the DVD and went over to Coffeebean and spent 88 minutes watching with a glass of Americano. It was a tiring day as I had to digest so much readings and it continued on that night after Fish and Chips dinner at Upperstar.


Day 3 - an entire day in the island! Met up with Gina and Matt again but we had our own schedule for the day. Gina and Matt were both doing their Open Water Course. My instructor was Ian who spent the entire morning training me in the shores of Mamutik Island...also not to mentioned my 'victim' as well who plays dead so well! I finished up most of the training before lunch and later, Ian and I headed out to Mid Reef for a good dive. I had a hiccup - I couldn't equalize and had nose bleed after 45 minutes in the water...but it was a great reef and I saw a Squid! *laughs* We went back to mainland after the dives and that night, Gina and I met up with Matt and later with Mel and Joel for Banana Leaf dinner and later to bowling at Central Plaza. It was fun~!


Fourth day - last day of Rescue Diver training. Ian and I did a short 20 minutes dive at Sapi House Reef while waiting for a 'victim' to complete my training. At the end of the day, I carried Ian who is 20kg heavier and 20cm taller than I do, up from the water to the beach! *hurray* I scraped my knees real bad but I made it! After lunch, we headed back to office where I did my test and I passed! We had a celebration at Hunters with the divers before Lynley, Matt and I walked to Waterfront for a good dinner.


Finally...my leisure dives! Day 5 was awesome...though I was really tired but heck! I passed EFR and Rescue Diver courses and now it's time for some fun. Woke up at 6.30am to take a walk at Gaya Street Market. It was a good walk and before I headed down to Jesselton Point, I bought a packet of nasi lemak for breakfast. My buddy was Lynley from Melbourne and my dive master was Joe from Sydney. We had 3 dives that day and it was awesome! (photos will be uploaded after I digitize them). Though the weather was not great; with rains and big waves and strong currents, it was no doubt an amazing dive and I saw lots of nudibranchs and had fun counting them under the sea. Later that night, the divers met up at Upperstar for dinner cum drinking sessions before Matt and I went to Suria Sabah, intending to catch a movie but the cinema was closed at the time we were there, so we paid RM10 for tokens and played arcade games.


Last dive day in Kota Kinabalu. Was supposed to do 2 dives but ended up with 3 dives instead. We went further off the islands and the sites were beautiful~! I enjoyed every bit of the dives and had great discoveries. Lynley and I went to Upperstar for a drink that evening before heading back to our hotels to pack up.


Last day in Kota Kinabalu...I had local noodles for breakfast, chicken rice for lunch and took a stroll down the Wet/Dry Market and the Philippine Market to get some souvenirs and black rice for mom. I went back to the hotel to pack up and took a van to the airport with Lynley (whose flight was 15 minutes after mine to Johor).

It was an amazing time and experience I had backpacking by myself and achieved my certifications. I met so many friends from all around the globe. I went for a job interview. It was just...AMAZING!

A big thanks to Diverse Borneo especially Mark, Ian and Haled who was there to guide me throughout my courses. Thank you to Joe who brought me around the sites for such great dives, to my 'victim' who helped me play dead while I victimized you during my training. Thanks to Gina who accommodated me and brought me around for good food and a nice bowling game, to Matt and Lynley who share the same interest - diving - and hope to dive with you again! Keep in touch! *smiles*

...Panoramic Shot of the Island and the Mainland...

It's been great and definitely there will be plans to return again to Kota Kinabalu for more dives in the future!

No comments: