Sunday, October 3, 2010

Once More, Muhibah!...A story 7 years ago.

I remembered something that meant so much to me when I was 17. I got a call from a schoolmate one afternoon while I was studying for my SPM trial exams asking for my full name. She said, 'You won the essay writing competition!'. I was at first unsure of what she said because I only recalled my English teacher asking the whole class to write 3 essays a couple of months back. She kept saying that I won and after putting down the phone, I jumped around the house and screamed my heads off in joy. At that time, my elder brother was at home and he said, 'Crazy ah you!' So I called my dad and asked him to buy NST and checked for it. He brought home the paper and yes! my full name was on it! and I won!

First thing I did was, I flung my Maths paper the next day. I met up with Geraldine who was also one of the 20 winners from the whole of Malaysia and started discussing about our 'all-expense-paid-trip-to-meet-DPM-and-get-our-RM2000-cheque-dinner'.

A big thanks to my mum who helped us planned for the trip as my school didn't even bother to help us with that. So, dad followed me to KL for the event. My air ticket was paid by the organizer and we boarded MAS (at that time, MAS was a luxurious flight) and stayed at Istana Hotel. The next day, we (all 20 winners) were brought to meet Pak Lah, whom at that time was still a Deputy Prime Minister. That night, we had our prize giving ceremony where we became so famous for one night, having photographers snapping our photos for 10 minutes. It was a night to remember!

That winning gave me an eye opener. I never expected to win with the essays I wrote.

7 years ago, 20 teenagers wrote remarkable ideas to create Muhibah in our country. But, not a single one of our ideas are put to use in today's 1Malaysia concept. Sad though. But, somewhere deep in our country, there are ideas that bring everyone from all races together. Just waiting for the day that these ideas are put to use...

Once More Muhibah! ...the 1Malaysia concept 7 years ago.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I remember that day too.
I won in the teacher category (one of the teachers).
Tq for writing about this. Administrators at my college recently are gathering past achievements, I will quote this post by you if needed. (Boleh?)

kaYren said...

Hi Azian, sure you can :)
I'm amazed that you manage to find this post, it's been 7 years since I posted this!...hahahaha