Monday, September 27, 2010

Travelogue: Penang Day 1

Date: 24th September 2010
It was a trip to Penang for International Cleanup Day in Payar Island.

6.00am : Woke up for a cold morning shower and final packing. I had 2 bags and 1 diving equipment bag.

7.00am : Took the Star LRT train from Pandan Indah and interchange at Chan Sow Lin before arriving at Bukit Jalil station.

7.30am : Breakfast of fried rice and egg and 2 pieces of kuih at one of the stalls at Bukit Jalil temporary express bus station.

8.30am : Read The Star newspaper and boarded the bus to Penang. There were only 8 people in the bus throughout the whole journey.

1.30pm : Arrived at Sungai Nibong bus station. I walked out to the bus stand just outside the bus station. I saw bus No. 401 coming towards me and later took the turn into the bus station. My first instinct was to walk into the station to catch the bus but as I was reaching it, the bus drove off. The next thing I knew, the bus actually stopped at the stand that I was in at the first place. So, I sat by waiting for the next bus. Bus No. 401 came again and it took off again without me eventhough I stood in front of it, waiting for the door to open *sweats*. So I waited...and bus No. 302 and No. 303 arrived. The uncle told me to take only bus No. 401 to the jetty...and so I waited and finally the bus arrived.

3.00pm : I finally arrived at Pengkalan Weld in the rain. I went to hire a cab that costs me RM10 to get to Old Penang Guesthouse at Love Lane, which was only 5 minutes away.

3.30pm : I checked into the guesthouse to room No.7. It was a great room with a comfortable bed and airconditioning. I love the room...the best backpacker I've stayed so far. I had a short rest and washed up before I walked out to the bus stand just a minute away to get myself to Pengkalan Weld again.

4.00pm : At Pengkalan Weld. Some people are kind enough to help me to get to where I want to but there are also people who are not kind to scream and walk away when you walk up to them for directions. Anyway...as I was waiting for Bus No.103 to arrive, something funny and interesting happened. A 5 feet-long monitor lizard came invading the taxi stands and the convenient shops there! After watching the whole scene, I boarded the bus.

4.45pm : I stopped at a bus stand at Tanjung Bungah to picked up my t-shirt and payment of my diving equipments. I later took another bus down to Gurney Plaza.

5.30pm : I arrived at Gurney Drive. I was superb hungry as I did not have lunch. I got myself a Bak Gua bun and walked to Gurney Plaza. I had a short walk around before I went to MPH for a read. It was so cold as I was soaking in the rain.

6.00pm : I sat at a bus stand just outside Gurney Plaza, waiting for the bus to take me back to the hotel. I waited for 1 hour. I then decided to take a cab, paid RM12 to go back to the hotel.

7.30pm : I arrived at the hotel, took a bath and went out to get myself dinner.

8.30pm : I had a plate of Wantan Mee and a glass of Fresh Orange. I went walking around the street before packing a pack of Char Kuey Teow, 2 pieces of Apom and a can of Guiness Stout. I headed back to the hotel for my 2nd round of dinner.

10.00pm : I was so tired that I went to bed with the lights on.

It's the first time I traveled on my own for a holiday and it was interesting but at some times, I felt a little insecure when it comes to asking for directions or my way around. Many things happened in just one day but I had a great time.

No comments: