Sunday, August 9, 2009

PADI Open Water Diver Course

After a year long of persuasion from Catherine to take my diving license, and after knowing that Ming Yi just gotten her license, I decided to take mine...


I signed up for the PADI Open Water Diver Course with Kuching Scuba Centre and made my payment of RM650 for the whole course and a guarantee pass. Coincidentally, I met up with Wei Ling (my friend since Primary school) who was also interested and she signed up and she became my buddy.

...Wei Ling and I...

We had a two day theory class on the 17th and 18th July. We then met up with another two students; Irene and Karen, both are cousins. We were given a manual book to read and two DVDs to watch.

Confined water was on the 24th July, a week after at Stampark Pool. We did 5 confined water dives with lots of underwater tests. It was a very tiring day as we just kept jumping and coming up from the pool the whole day.

...taken after the completion of our confined water dives...

Open water was throughout the weekend at Satang Island. We took a boat from Santubong Boat Club to the dive spot and made 2 dives each day. It was a bit scary as we could only see 1.5m away. Our instructor, Mr. Jonas brought his underwater camera on our second open water dive and took lots of photos.

...Santubong Boat Club...

...overlooking Satang Island...

...Irene, Karen and Wei Ling...
after our first dive

...that's me doing back-roll into the water...

...the girls...
(Irene, Karen S., Wei Ling, Karen K.)

Couple of days after we passed our open water dives, we had our final exams in the centre and I passed with super flying colours. Well, it was pretty scary as I did not even look through properly the day before.

...taken after completion of the open water dives with our instructor...
(Mr. Jonas, Karen S., Irene, Wei Ling, Karen K.)

Anyways, I passed and now, I'm officially an open water diver!
Next... more dives and it's on for the adventure dives!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It's a long time ago post but so envy... thinking of having diving lesson for myself too! =)

kaYren said...

yeap, you definitely will love it! :)