Saturday, January 21, 2012

Grandma

It was just last Saturday that grandma was laid to rest.
Time passed fast indeed.
It had been a week already.

It was last Tuesday that I started taking care of her. I spent the whole morning and afternoon with her in her home, holding her hands as she walked up and down the house, making hot drinks for her when she's hungry, massaging her hands and feet when they are sore.

Wednesday was another day with her.
We talked as I massaged her. She gave me the white gold bracelet she was wearing.

'Grandma is getting older by the day,' she said.

I was able to just hold her hands as I walked her to the toilet that morning but as the time passed that day, I had to use a bit more strength to carry her a little every time she gets up. I could feel that she was getting weaker.

Later that afternoon, I went home just before the rain came. We had a call from aunt in the evening. Dad and I rushed to see her. The doctor just came for a visit and gave her a jab. She was much weaker than before.

Suddenly, she could barely walk back to the room from the toilet. Dad, aunt, cousin and I had to carry her to the room. She couldn't lift her head anymore. I tried to carry her up a little for her to take her medicine but I couldn't, even with the help from my cousin.

Dad and I went home.

Suddenly the door knocked. Mum told me that Dad was already on his way there. I quickly changed and drove my brother to the house. As soon as we arrived, we went into her room. We called her. She was in a semi coma state.

I went to move the car and as I came back to the house, I stood by the door. Moments later, Dad walked out from her room and told my aunt that Grandma has passed.

It was 12.40am on the 12th January 2012.

Grandma,
You will always be remembered in our hearts.
May God grant you eternal rest.
Amen.

No comments: